Location: Bolton, Massachusetts and Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Headwall Photonics designs and manufactures unique spectral imaging components and instrumentation, software, and solutions with unparalleled capabilities to acquire and exploit spectral data across the electromagnetic spectrum. Our spectral and analytical technology is used in four main markets: remote sensing, machine vision, government/defense, and medical/biotech. With market leadership, outstanding brand recognition, and expertise in managing reflected light technologies, the team at Headwall dedicates themselves to improving our designs and processes for the benefit of communities and organizations around the world. From manufacturing food-inspection sensors to airborne and satellite payloads for earth observation, Headwall Photonics is proud of the positive impact our work has on the global stage.
The Director/VP of Manufacturing Operations leads operations in the areas of lasers, optics, photonics, electronics, machine vision, motion control, vibration control, and opto-mechanical technologies.
Responsibility for lean/efficient management of Production, Manufacturing and Test Engineering, ISO quality programs, and Supply Chain management. Requires skills and experience in profitably scaling production operations in a growth environment. Development of production budgets, staffing/hiring plans and capital expenditures. Implementing continuous improvement through Kaizen approaches and value stream analysis to drive greater profitability.
Reporting to the CEO, responsibility includes team engagement to drive customer satisfaction throughout the organization while ensuring safety, quality, delivery, productivity and profitability, and effectively partnering with other functions in the value chain.
- Strategic planning of production operations and manufacturing leadership
- Lean manufacturing and process efficiency improvement
- Optical & analytical instrument knowledge
- Supply chain management
- Quality-based management
- Ability to analyze and synthesize key points and prioritize on a real time basis
- High ethics and integrity, and a non-compromising safety orientation
- Coordinates, manages, and directs personnel, and activities to ensure organizational goals (on time delivery, out of box quality, efficiency, financial, inventory turns) are achieved
- Participates in the strategic planning for the organization, as it relates to the Operations and the implementation of strategic goals and objectives
- Develop, administer and maintain continuous improvement methodologies throughout all production facilities
- Ensures that production budgets including capital, schedules, and performance standards are realistically set and attained
- Driving an innovative team focused on leading edge manufacturing process technology
- Manage the day-to-day activities of Operations, overseeing that work is accomplished and that it is consistent with corporate policies and objectives
- Oversee that the inventory management is consistent with sales, cash flow and financial goals
- Develop and design Operations processes and procedures based on expert understanding and knowledge of relevant industry experience driving the innovation of new techniques, approaches, and skills.
- Foster a process-driven culture of continuous improvement.
- Cultivate a problem-solving mindset at all levels of the organization driving efficiency and gross margin improvements.
- Develop strategy and budgets, plans and performance requirements linked to meet manufacturing volume, quality, delivery, cost targets and safety expectations.
- Support customer demand in a high mix environment by applying planning processes to anticipate demand and level-load production schedules and materials flow.
- Partner cross-functionally and at the front-line level, to improve quality and productivity, reduce waste and standardize processes.
- Drive daily management as a team-based, visual process applied consistently at each point of impact to ensure process discipline and drive improvements
- Work with Engineering managers and teams to maximize production uptime and efficiency, including supporting efficiency projects based on product/price variance goals (PPV).
- Maintain a Kaizen event funnel focusing on the most important opportunities and problems in our business, as driven by our strategic plan and performance versus KPI’s. Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma principles and tools including Demand Flow Technology, VSM, flow design, Kanban, cycle time, Lean, line balancing, Kaizen, 6S, DFT, and CpK
Supply Chain & Procurement
- Manage procurement processes and tools to reduce supply-chain risk to customer delivery expectations.
- Ensure delivery of year-over-year savings on direct & indirect spend; maximize material availability to ensure high levels of productivity and customer service via on-time delivery; reduce excess inventory to improve working capital turns and maximize effective use of physical space.
Requirements & Qualifications
- BS in engineering or related scientific discipline, MS or advanced degree preferred
- Experience in the Laser, Optics and photonics industry preferred
- US Citizen or Green Card status
- APICS certification (CPIM) preferred
- P&L experience required
- People development and performance management.
- Material and labor quoting, manufacturing requirements planning.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Experience with ERP systems (MAX preferred).